Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Catholic ADVENTure



Today is the 2nd Sunday of Advent.  The Gospel reading talks about St. John the Baptist preparing the way of the Lord.

So what does this mean to us pewsitters today?  Well, it means that we should all be preparing the world we live in for the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ.  How do we do this?  Lucky for us, the Holy Catholic Church has enumerated both the spiritual and corporal works of mercy that we MUST do if we are REALLY followers of Jesus Christ:

The Seven Spiritual Works of Mercy

1. To admonish the sinner: "...there will be more joy in Heaven at the repentance of one sinner than at ninety-nine of the righteous who had no need of repentance." Lk. 15:7
2. To instruct the ignorant: "Go into the whole world and proclaim the good news to all creation." Mk. 16:1
3. To counsel the doubtful: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you...Let not your hearts be troubled..." Jn. 14:27
4. To comfort the sorrowful: "Come to me, all you grown weary and burdened, and I will refresh you." Mt. 11:28
5. To bear wrongs patiently: "...Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you." Lk. 6:27-28
6. To forgive all injuries: "And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors." Mt. 6:12
7. To pray for the living and the dead: "Father, I desire that they, too, may be with me where I am..." Jn. 17:24

The Seven Corporal Works of Mercy

1. To feed the hungry: "For I was hungry and you gave me to eat." Mt. 25:35
2. To give drink to the thirsty: "...I was thirsty and you gave me to drink..." Mt. 25:35
3. To clothe the naked: "I was...naked and you clothed me..." Mt. 25:36
4. To visit the imprisoned: "I was in prison and you came to me." Mt. 25:36
5. To shelter the homeless: "...I was a stranger and you took me in..." Mt. 25:35
6. To visit the sick: "...I was sick and you cared for me..." Mt. 25:36
7. To bury the dead: "Amen, I say to you, insofar as you did it for one of these least of my brothers, you did it for me." Mt. 25:40 

So now that you know...What will you do?

More Catholic food for thought on this Son Dei....

This morning the devil said to me, "You're turning yourself into a cripple!" No compassion, no mercy. My dear friends, know this: your and my redemptive suffering offered in union with the suffering of Jesus and Blessed Mother through their entire lives, along the Way of Sacrificial Love, and on the absolute horror and disgrace of the Cross makes the demons furious because souls are being rescued from eternal damnation! Modern day Cristeros, the Lord calls you "Christians" and He wants you to know He hears you, He sees you, and He is grateful to you for living, loving, serving, and suffering in imitation of Him and His most holy Mother for the benefit of precious, immortal souls. Continue to carry your crosses in union with Them. YOU ARE THE SUPERHEROES OF OUR ERA, so mistreated and ignored, and as the demons show, you are NOT nothing, and you are NOT invisible. Our incredibly selfish world DESPERATELY NEEDS your courage. God is at work in you! THANK YOU. + + +

-- From my great friend Michelle Bondi Bottessi



2 comments:

  1. Excellent!! Hoping your Son Dei is specially blessed... Texas style (:

    ReplyDelete